God, the World, and My Family.

This is a place for me to share my thoughts on God, the state of the World, and my own family. It is intended to be a window into my mind as I anguish and lament over some things and rejoice over others. These days my busy thoughts are anxious to find outlets to express themselves, and they want to share themselves with you.

2006/09/18

The Pope and His Speech

I've been amazed from the beginning how the news reports have taken quotes out of context when it comes to Benedict XVI's speech on Sept. 12. So I'm furnishing the links to help you sort out what is fact and what is fiction.

The speech.

The apology.

It seems to me that the two quotes which have so enraged the Muslim world were part of the introduction of the Pope's speech and had little to do with his message. The words are quoted from a 14th century emperor. In his apology, B XVI clarifies that he does not agree with the emperor's opinion. His apology seems to be sadness at the reactions rather than a retraction of the quotes.

Today I saw this:

"The Mujahedeen Shura Council, an umbrella organization of Sunni Arab extremist groups that includes al Qaeda in Iraq, issued a statement on a Web forum vowing to continue its holy war against the West. The authenticity of the statement could not be independently verified.

The group said Muslims would be victorious and addressed the pope as "the worshipper of the cross" saying "you and the West are doomed as you can see from the defeat in Iraq, Afghanistan, Chechnya and elsewhere. ... We will break up the cross, spill the liquor and impose head tax, then the only thing acceptable is a conversion (to Islam) or (killed by) the sword."

I'll be saying some extra prayers tonight...

2 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

I have been pretty flabbergasted at this whole affair too. We are especially worried about the Pope's upcoming trip to Turkey. Praying here...

11:41 AM  
Blogger Mmm said...

Wah tI find extremely disingenious is that Islam portests it is NOT a violent religion by doing waht? By being violent, burning effigies, and in this case, killing peaceful nun in Sudan who worked with poor orphaned children. Same thing with the play in Germany, the cartoons, etc. I don't recall any Christian groups killing anyone over that play of Christ being neheaded, or the art "piss Christ, or even Madonna's latest sacrilige. Actions speak louder than words.

The Pope should not have aplogized for anything.

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home