God, the World, and My Family.

This is a place for me to share my thoughts on God, the state of the World, and my own family. It is intended to be a window into my mind as I anguish and lament over some things and rejoice over others. These days my busy thoughts are anxious to find outlets to express themselves, and they want to share themselves with you.

2006/08/24

An Open Letter to Democracy Now!

Hello,

Thank you so much for all of the good work you do; I listen to your program very often and am grateful to have your resource which, among others, helps me to become a better informed citizen.

Today you mentioned this story at the end of your "Headlines" segment:

In Minnesota, the Catholic Church of Duluth has uninvited the well-known nun, Helen Prejean, from speaking at an upcoming fundraising dinner. Sister Prejean is the author of the book Dead Man Walking. The church said it canceled her speech after her name appeared in ad in the New York Times calling for the removal of President Bush from office.

I was alarmed when I heard this and tried to find something online to confirm the report. I came across Sr. Prejean's own statement regarding the ad:

http://www.prejean.org/

Prejean statement. 11 August 2006

On August 3, 2006, an ad titled "The World Can't Wait! Drive Out the Bush Regime!" appeared in the New York Times. The ad carried the endorsement of 90 individuals, including that of Sister Helen Prejean, a member of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Medaille. Since the ad was published, Sister Helen has asked that her name be withdrawn from the ad. The Sisters of St. Joseph of Medaille regret any concerns that this misunderstanding may have caused for those who share in our ministries to bring all people into union with God and with one another.

The text of Sister Helen's statement follows:

Recently my name appeared on a New York Times ad urging citizens to call for the removal of George W. Bush from office. The reasons cited are many, among them:

-his reckless pursuit of war in Iraq, which has helped to destabilize the entire middle East
-his approval of torture
-his zealous promotion of imprisonment and executions
-his fiscal policies which make the wealthy people more wealthy and poor people poorer
(During the past six years poverty in the U.S. has risen 17%)

There is, however, one issue addressed in the ad that I cannot endorse, which if I had seen the final version of the ad would have led me to withhold my signature. The statement reads: "Your government is moving to deny women here and all over the world the right to birth control and abortion." The life issues involved in the beginning of life are exceedingly complex. My stance on abortion is a matter of public record. I stand morally opposed to killing: war, executions, killing of the old and demented, the killing of children, unborn and born. As I have stated publicly many times, I stand squarely within the framework of "the seamless garment" ethic of life. I believe that all of life is sacred and must be protected, especially in the vulnerable stages at the beginning of life and its end.

I signed the ad because as a follower of the way of Jesus and a U.S. citizen, I cannot stand by passively and silently as I witness my government wage such grievous oppression and violence. It has been this same spirit of engaged citizenship that has for the past twenty years led me to speak out against the death penalty while encouraging my fellow citizens and my church to deeper reflection on the issue by the books and articles I have written and numerous public lectures.

For me, personally, it would be sinful not to raise my voice publicly in opposition to the life-destructive policies and practices of the Bush administration. That is what led me to sign the ad calling for his removal.

When I signed my endorsement of the ad, the conversation focused on the abuses of the Bush administration. I understood that the draft form of the ad which I signed was an intent of my willingness to sign the ad; however, I expected to be given a final version to critique before affixing my signature. Since that opportunity was not granted, I feel the need to issue this clarification.

Sister Helen Prejean, CSJ

Are you certain that the Diocese (I assume you meant the Diocese of Duluth when you said "The Catholic Church of Duluth") uninvited Sr. Prejean because of her stance on Bush, or could it have been because the ad included a pro-choice statement? Also I cannot find anything online which confirms your story, only that Sr. Prejean's own calendar still has her speaking at an Education Dinner in Duluth on Oct. 1.

If the invitation was indeed withdrawn and the real reason being that Sr. Prejean was associated with the pro-choice statement, not because of her opinion of President Bush, I expect that you will issue clarification to your listeners because I'm sure that you'll agree the original report is misleading. I have faith that Democracy Now! is a reputable organization which values, above all, broadcasting the most accurate information possible.

Thank you,

- Kristin _____

[You can see the transcript of the headlines here, at the very bottom. I plan on contacting the Diocese myself in 48 hours if Democracy Now! does not reply. I'll let you know any updates.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home